Monday, November 18, 2013

You Lose Some. And Then You Lose Some More.

I have to admit it, but I did not watch the last two Celtics games.  Hey, I have an active life that doesn't simply revolve around watching other people play sports.  I was out playing tennis on Friday night and out to dinner with friends on Saturday night.  Nobody's paying me to write this blog (though donations are gladly accepted), so I feel no obligation to watch every game.  And judging by the results of this past weekend, I didn't miss much.  The Celtics got pounded by the Portland Trailblazers at home on Friday and then took to the road to lose to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Saturday.  Some individual players had their moments.  Jared Sullinger had a good game on Friday after being sidelined with a bruised knee. And Avery Bradley broke out for 27 points on Saturday.  But the team as a whole struggled (and Jeff Green was again invisible). I did catch some highlights (or from the Celtics perspective, the lowlights), but it's just not the same as watching a game live to see how it unfolds over the course of four quarters.  Basketball is a game of momentum and stopping of momentum.  No single basket wins the game.  Sure, players may hit a game winning shot, but there is in every case a series of scores and non-scores that lead up to the moment where a single shot decides the games.  For example, when the Celtics beat the Heat as week ago Friday, it wasn't just Jeff Green's buzz beating 3-pointer that alone won the game.  It took Dwayne Wade missing both his free throws during the previous possession to give Jeff Green the opportunity to steal the game - which he did.

The Celtics must find a way to win more consistently, but I am not optimistic as the way only gets harder as this season progresses and other teams start to their stride.  I only hope they prove me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment